2013 Esprit de She Naperville triathlon recap

Warning: The first half of this recap is going to be pretty whiney. It gets better.

I crossed the finish line at the Esprit de She triathlon in Naperville on Sunday. My day started early at 4:15am. Transition opened at 5am and closed at 6:45am.

I arrived early to ensure I got a nearby parking spot. I was able to check out the set up and race course the day prior because there was no race day packet pickup (minus). Chicago area participants had to travel out to Naperville two days in a row. My wave was not scheduled to start until 8:17am. It was a long wait. I sat at a picnic table with a friend who also finished the race. We watched 19 waves start before us.

The swim: Awful. Centennial Beach is exactly what I expected, a giant pool with sand.

There is a graduated depth from the beach to about 5 feet, and then it drops off like a cliff to 15 feet. I walked the graduated portion and muddled my way through the deep end. I felt restricted in my wetsuit, but I was glad I wore it because I relied heavily on its buoyancy. My heart rate skyrocketed shortly after I hit the water. Less than halfway through the course my chest was burning. I switched between a loose interpretation of freestyle, breast stroke and the old trusty doggy paddle the entire 800 meters. I was so disappointed with the swim. It put me in a terrible mood to start to bike portion.

The bike: How is it possible that a loop course can feel like an incline the entire route? At some point I had to be going back downhill, right? The 14.2 mile course was two loops. The first loop was rough. I was still beating myself up from the swim. I forgot my water bottle. My lips were so dry. I did not like sharing the road with vehicles for a portion of the route, the exhaust was bothersome. My arms and shoulders ached. I really wished I had some aero bars to rest my elbows. The second loop is when I started to feel better, I knew what to expect, but I could not wait to get off that damn bike and run.

The run: I was so excited to dismount and put my feet on the ground. The 5K run course was more relaxing than anything. The first mile marker came and went quickly. It’s hard when you know you are so close, but you cannot see the finish line. I usually sprint once I see the finish. I did not this race. I had nothing left in me to give! My friends were cheering at the finish line which was so nice and gave me a much needed boost.

Looking at these photos, I’m amazed at how composed I look because I really wanted to quit and crawl into bed.

The race was very well organized with tons of helpful volunteers. The medal and race swag was primo. It was just not my best race. I was however happy with my time, sub 2:30. I’m registered for the Chicago tri in August. I have focus on finding a more comfortable wetsuit if I plan to survive that race. There is no shallow area of the lake on that swim course. The day after the race, I was surprised how well I felt. As emotionally draining as it was, I definitely felt better physically than I have after finishing a half marathon. I only had a little soreness in my shoulders. The tendonitis is my right foot did not flare up at all. This was my first experience with this distance triathlon. I’m confident future races will get better if I just stick with it.


Anonymous said...

I am signed up to do this race this year, and did a search online to find out if the roads are closed for the bike portion. I don't know what kind of craziness I was thinking of that they might be, but I'm glad to know one way or the other.

I'm sorry the swim was so awful, but thank you for your race report! It's really helpful!

Margaux Mays said...

@Jen most of the roads are closed except for the stretch along W. 75th. Glad the report helped. I'm sure you'll enjoy the race, good luck!